I’m pleased to announce a new release of Kojo. The following are the highlights of changes since the previous release announcement:
1. Initial support for Data Science and Machine Learning
The core features of this support include:
- A data exploration pane (which can be opened/closed at the bottom of the Script Editor) where you can type in snippets of code, run them, and see the results in the output pane. The data exploration pane supports code-completion – for easy discoverability of methods and fields on objects of interest.
- An add-on pack, which can be downloaded from the Kojo-AI project and installed within Kojo. This pack currently includes support for data-frames, charting, neural networks, and graph searching.
Here are some screenshots showing the above in action:
Loading and joining data-frames
Doing a projection and then drawing a histogram
Doing a projection and then drawing a bar-chart
Doing non-linear regression using Tensorflow and Keras-like layers
This is very much work in progress, but also an exciting area of potential growth, with nice synergies with the Kojo-gaming and Kojo-arduino projects.
2. Gaming Enhancements
Some initial work has been done to support the use-case of developing games within Kojo-Desktop and publishing them on KojoJS. Here are some sample games (running in the browser):
This is shaping up to be the next area of focus for Kojo based on feedback from users.
Note that KojoJS (powering the links above) is still in ‘experimental’ mode and running on a not very powerful server.
Bugs game running in Kojo-Desktop
3. Miscellaneous improvements
- Editor speedup for larger scripts
- Improvements with Find/Replace.
- New Samples in the area of Generative Art and Math. Other Sample tweaks.
- More robust script interruption under stress (like, for example, while changing drawing colors via the interactive program manipulator)
- Scala upgrade to 2.12.8
That’s it for this release. As always, the new version is available from the Kojo Download Page. If you run into any difficulties, let us know.